Thursday, January 10, 2008

Swaziland Faces


I spent part of one morning checking the Swaziland faces on facebook--and it was great fun. I was meant to be looking for ex-Sifundzani High School students, to update our 'where-are-they-now' database, but I soon got immersed in the gameworld of 'which-picture-of-me-shall-I-post?': do I tell the truth? or do I post a joke picture or do I just leave the facespace empty? And then there are so many people... it's easy to see why facebook is so addictive and just why so many people spend so much time on it. (And I also see why some companies have blocked facebook use on their company computers [NERCHA, for one] :-).)

Facebook works because it's communication, not love, that makes the world go round; facebook is a communication event incorporating email, chatrooms and much else besides. As a literature teacher I love it, along with cellphone sms stories. And, of course, it's communication that ignites the spark that flames into the passions of love.

No comments:

HAROLD BUDD: go in peace

Harold Budd Back in the 70s I had a friend called Howard, who lived in Wimbledon village, and we met regularly to listen to and discuss ou...